Monday, March 30, 2009

The day is bright

Much has happened over the past few days so I'll try to update you all and try not to be too graphic. :)
I spent about three days here at St. Luke's hospital in Boise trying to stay pregnant to give the baby as much time as possible. I would do pretty well during the day but at night I would bleed most of the night. My blood count kept on getting lower and lower. Finally, Thursday night I also started having contractions, which they absolutely do not want because if my cervix opened I would be in danger of hemorrhaging.
The doctor I had been seeing here has been a wonderful man, who listened really well, and tried to be as non-invasive as possible. Thursday night another doctor was on call to give him a break. This doctor immediately started having my nurse fill me up with medication. It was awful. Both the nurse and the doctor were confident that if they gave me the right drugs I would be fine. They did listen when I told them I didn't want a certain drug, I told them I was sure this wouldn't stop the bleeding. I honestly prayed I would make it until morning when Dr. Seyb would be back.
When he got in he told them to stop giving me those medications. YEA! Then he came in and we talked. I told him I honestly didn't feel that I was going to improve and wasn't sure if my body or emotions could handle one more night. He agreed and he immediately scheduled my c-section. I was grateful that he included me in the decision on when was the right time. It was also wonderful to have my nurse that day, (thank you Tanda), tell me she felt my decision was right, and the neonatolagist tell me he felt that this was the best decision as well. IT relieved the pain I felt knowing that the more time our of my body the harder fight my baby would have. I was only 26 weeks 3 days along.
I went into the c-section ,was given my spinal and because of the great team the Lord set-up for me was relatively calm for someone who has abhorred the idea of a c-section and was going to have her baby at home! However, the spinal stopped at my waist. The doctor pinched my stomach, I felt it, so they had to put me under. This scared me, I kept telling the Lord I was in his hands, to please help me. I started to cry as they put me under and looked up to see Dr. Seyb looking down at me with kind eyes, softly telling me it would be okay.
I later swam out of my stupor to find myself in recovery. It turns out I had ALOT of old blood clots, and it was DEFINETLY time to get that baby out of there. Thank heavens for Doctors who actually listen to their patients! I had lost a lot of blood so they gave me two pints.
My mom and sister had come down to take over the kids, thank you to all who have helped up to this point! It was so comforting to have them here.
We had a baby boy. 2 lbs. 2 oz. 14 1/2 inches long. His name is Benjamin. So far Ben has done amazingly well. He has been put on a regular ventilator, taken off Dopamine to regulate his blood pressure, and is breathing pretty much room air. He has pretty much been forward progress, so keep praying!
I am doing wonderful although I still had a bit of a battle afterwards. I did alright for about 12 hours after the c-section then I started going down hill again. My kidneys weren't fuctioning alot longer then was expected and I started getting more and more tired, they did another test and my blood count was REALLY low. Turns out I still had lost a lot of of blood and hadn't regained enough yet. So the 36 hours after surgery was spent with me getting two more pints of blood and trying not to worry about having to have something else done to get my kidneys going and fighting the heavy feeling that if I went to sleep I wouldn't wake up again. It was a constant battle between the faith I had in the promises the Lord have given me and the weakest my body has ever felt in my entire life.
I am happy to say 3 days after surgery I am doing extremely well. My lines are all out, I can eat, kidneys do function!, I can actually think and respond, smile, it's wonderful. I feel so much joy as I look out the sunny window. Today is such a huge contrast to the darker days past. I am so thankful to be here, for Ben to be here, for my husband, children, for the Lord who's hands we have been in this whole time. Thank you for all your prayers! And please forgive me if I told you to much detail! Love-Jen

3 comments:

Theresa said...

Thanks for the details Jen. I was worried when I heard that Ben had been born afterall, but it sounds like you were blessed and taken care of and I hope everything continues to get better! Love you! and Love Bart! and Love Ben! and love the other kids! I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Tristie hearts Dax said...

Oh my goodness. Jen. I can't even comprehend what has transpired. Please continue to get better and know I am thinking and praying for you and your sweet baby.

Jill said...

Well, well, well! You can tell I haven't been reading blogs for awhile! Bless your family for being so strong. Bless all the people who have come to your aid. We'll be praying for you! Congrats on another boy!