Sunday, September 21, 2008

I conquered the cake!

Last week a friend told me about her exercise group that she meets with in the mornings. She has mentioned the group to me before, but this time I considered joining. It is in the early morning so it doesn't interfere with the family and it's a private group of ladies, no clubs or anything and there are MANY levels of fitness. (much less intimidating then the college gym) I've known I've needed something for a long time. I've been amazed at how falling apart I already feel at my young age.
Enoch: "Mom, can you do a cartwheel?"
Me: "You bet!"
As I turn my beautiful cartwheel my body cries out in pain.
Me: "That didn't used to hurt!"
We also plan on having atleast one more baby and I'm nervous about being up to snuff, so I talked to Bart about joining this group. Then I prayed to the Heavenly Father that I felt like this would be good for me but I haven't slept through the night in over a year and a half so he would have to get me out of bed. 5:15 AM the next morning. PING! I was awake, guess I'm going.
The two days that were left in that week I worked my tail off. (Hopefully) It was brutal for someone who considers kneading bread exercise. (And I still do.:)) I have been so stiff and sore the past three days.
Then I noticed something. Today is our ward's "Linger Longer." A potluck dinner they do every third Sunday after church. Now I don't buy junkfood, I don't usually make junkfood, but hey, if those cookies show up in the hands of my visiting teacher I will eat most of them to save everybody else the torture. So potlucks are an obvious temptation. But today it was different.
I found myself thinking,"I should go back! Kathy just brought Lasagna. I need some Lasagna."
Another voice replied."Why? Don't you have enough on your plate to fill you up?" I didn't get any lasagna.
"Look at all those desserts! I should try all of them!"
"You don't need all those desserts, how about a small piece of cake and a cookie?" (which actually turned out to still be more than I needed.)
Later that evening we had popcorn with the kids. Suddenly, I thought. "I don't want this anymore. I'm done." Now, does that ever happen? NO! Popcorn make everyone a mindless eating machine, but we left some in the bowl!!!!
Then tonight after the kids were in bed, Bart offers me some of our leftover cake that we had scraped together for the "Linger Longer." (Yes, ironically enough we made cake to take.) I thought about it and said:
"No, I think I'll just have a glass of water."
Who is this person? Did I just pass up a piece of spice cake with my mother's maple frosting on top? It suddenly hit me all the will power I had demonstrated today over food. Where did it come from?
I tell you this long story because I think it comes from the exercise! Just this small beginning of challenging myself physically has made me already respect myself more. I haven't been aching for three days only to screw it up for a free sugar cookie. (More than one anyway. :))I also feel stronger on all fronts because I found the will power to get up before 6 am and challenge myself physically.
I admit, it may not last. But the idea that this experience is helping me in so many ways, might just get me out of bed tomorrow.

2 comments:

Brent Walker said...

Congrats Jen! You're absolutely right - just by showing yourself that you CAN push yourself through exercise you've been able to gain additional ability to say "no" to the bad stuff. The real miracle happens when you have gained enough confidence to say "yes" to all of the good stuff, and I'm not talking about food. Wanna go on that long hike up to the top of the mountain so we can see the view? Yes!

So, I hope that you get out of bed tomorrow because you'll be glad that you did. Speaking of which, I better hit the sack or I'm gonna have a sluggish start to my week!

-Brent

Katie said...

Nice work! If there's one thing I do that makes everything else work during the day, it's getting up early to exercise! But you've got me by 10 minutes (my alarm is set for 5:25, MWF.) Keep it up!