Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Premie Roller Coaster...

Yes, all my titles end with a horizontal ellipse... :)

Jen called the hospital before going over this morning (14 Apr) and learned that Ben's temperature was fluctuating a bit so they ordered a blood-draw and culture. His hema-crit was low (in the 20's in stead of the 40's) and so he received a transfusion--like mama, like baby, right? :) We hope that will help him.

To further help him, they put him back on the respirator (yup, the roller coaster), some heavy-duty antibiotics, and some morphine, because his spells have just been so frequent and quite severe (bagging, even). Right now they are just letting him rest and he is riding the ventilator which is exactly what he should be doing after working so hard for the last few weeks. All of this is well within the norm for ultra-premies, so there isn't really cause to worry or think the worse of this situation. Today marked the end of his 28th gestational week, tomorrow we start at 29 1/7.

Looking on the bright side, he is so tired from working so hard on his own for so long. What a little fighter. He also continues to gain weight and tipped the scales at 1110 grams (2 lb 7 oz)! We are praying hard for our little guy and for Jen's emotional strength as she is right there in the middle of it all.


In other news, the kids have had a lot of fun with our ward members who have taken them in while I work. We are so blessed to have a good lot of neighbors and children! After dinner today we braved the sub-freezing (or at least it felt like it) Idaho wind to attempt kite flying. We were right on the edge of what those little kites could handle and it shows in their condition :) It was fun to see them aloft for the short time that it lasted. We all came in and enjoyed some warmth and books and a chat with Mama before heading to bed.

After Nathan said goodnight to Jen, I said, "Okay Buddy, time for bed!" and he toddled right into his room, climbed into bed, and laid down. I covered him and haven't heard from him since... Wow... small blessing, eh?

We are doing well--all things considered. Joel's eyes "get blurry" when the emotions swell, we do get touchy about different things and need our outlets, but we are very blessed and grateful, indeed!

6 comments:

JennyLynn said...

My eyes fill up with tears just reading your blog. We are praying for all of you. Sounds like little Benjamin is a fighter!

Diana said...

Hello there Palmer family. It is Diana Moody here (Wymount). I just found your blog and while I am happy to see your cute family I am filled with all kinds of emotions to read about your little Ben. I do hope and pray that Heavenly Father will watch over you during this time.

Jessica said...

Bart, I don't know if you remember me (and my photo won't help!). My maiden name is Jessica McNeil. Jen, sadly, I'm not sure we've ever met. I found your blog through Brent and Annalynn. I will keep your family in my prayers.

Also, my nephew was born at 24 weeks. He will start Kindergarten in the fall. He is a healthy, strong boy. I don't know if you already have someone who has gone through what you are going through to talk to, but if you would like me to, I can put you in touch with them. Annalynn has my email and phone number.

I will keep my eyes out for jobs, too.

You are inspirations.

Tristie hearts Dax said...

This all news to me, and I am just in awe of how you've all held up. no doubt by the power of the priesthood and the Comforter. I wish I could give you a big hug, Jen! Wow, you guys are so brave, esp your sweet baby. Hang in there!

Tiffany said...

Just checked on your blog.... PHEW alot has happened to your growing family! Our prayers will be with you guys during this trying time.

Good luck on the roller coaster and remember that it is sometimes okay to just put your hands up and let out a good scream. Keep us posted on the ride!

Vanesa said...

Haven't seen a new post in a while, so I hope "no news is good news" :). Please know many people are thinking of you and praying for you.

Love,

Vanesa