Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Two steps forward, one step back

   Well, Ben took what good be considered a step back, but I chose not to see it as such. :)

  He has been having regular spells of his heartrate and oxygen levels dropping and struggling to get them back up. ( I can't remember the term, sorry.) I'm told that this is what babies at this age do. So, it is not that something is wrong necessarily, just that he needs to mature. Babies this young have trouble remembering to breathe on their own. Ben has worked hard on his own being on just nasal cannula for about 5 days now. Today they had to put him back on c-pap because he was struggling so much.  He just needed a break. They checked for infection just to make sure, and no sign of it. His ultrasound on his brain yesterday looked fine. He is tolerating his feeding well and they continue to up them every day. Right now he is at 4 ml which really isn't much, but he is gaining weight. Today he is back to birth weight at 992 grams. (about 2lbs 3 oz, I believe.) And so we forge ahead!
  Tonight Bart and I go to the Ronald McDonald House. I admit I never thought I would have to do something like this again after Joel, but I am grateful things have gone well so far. 
   I am really excited to see the kids this weekend. So excited in fact that I'm half tempted to move to Boise until Ben is out of the hospital so I can actually see them more then the weekends for the next few months. 
 Bart has been wonderful watching me like a hawk to make sure I take care of myself and watching for postpartum depression.  I try not to give him too many worries. He is looking into job possibilities but it's hard to know what to do with everything going on. Keep praying for us, only about 3 months to go............(Sorry the self-pity creeps in sometime's :))
  

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Try not to get too down. Ben is really doing well. This break in breathing may be just what he needs to jump forward again.
Love ya lots.
Cindy

brooke said...

hi bart and jen -
(i know you don't know me jen - i worked with bart). be kind to yourselves and please don't be hard on yourselves if you do get down. i'ts natural. anyhow - y'all are in my prayers, and i'm in the process of knitting for ben - just a little hat (tell bart i don't know how to do booties!) - newborn size out of cotton - more of a summer hat.. along with a hat / scarf set for winter and fall for the little fellow (mainly knitted during church and bible study, so, kinda, each stitch = a prayer). please let me know if y'all have lots of people knitting for him, i don't want to y'all something you may not need.

oh, and bart - i sent this address to the team, i hope you don't mind.

Ruth said...

Let us know if you need anything

Cherisa said...

Mom's been keeping us updated on your status and the baby's. Hang in there!!!